Tallarook Tiny Home - Mogood, NSW

In collaboration with Riparide

2-4 August 2019

Down a winding dirt road, we arrived at Tallarook just after dark. We were greeted by Karen and Brian and their energetic puppy Eddie. Karen directed us down through their property to the Tiny Home and showed us around. The cabin is completely off the grid but has everything you need to be comfortable, switch off and embrace nature. It was a calm and clear night so instead of snuggling up inside, we rugged up, grabbed some torches and walked up to the lawn scattered with gum trees to look at the milky way.

We were excited to see the property as the sun came up the next morning so we got up early and wandered down to the Clyde River which was just on the doorstep of the Tiny Home. The river was perfectly still, reflecting the tall trees lining the river banks. An eerie fog hung over the water and weaved through the tree tops. We grabbed the kayaks and paddled up and down the river until we were too hungry and headed back to the cabin to cook breakfast; eggs from Karen and Brian’s chooks and fresh orange juice from their orange trees.

Looking forward to making the most of the warm winter weather, we headed to the beach. First stop was Pebbly Beach where we saw kangaroos soaking up the morning sun on the beach and had rainbow lorikeets land on our arms. We set up the blanket on the beach and had some fruit while we watched the waves and soaked in the fresh salty air. It was almost lunch time, so we headed to Bawley Point to get takeaway fish and chips and eat it on the jetty. After lunch we drove to Depot Beach and walked the Burrawang Walking Track to the headland where we could see dolphins jumping through the waves below. 

Back at the Tiny Home we made a cheeseboard, poured a glass of wine and got the fire pit started. Sitting around the fire we listened to the different bird calls ring out through the bush. It started to get too dark outside, so we went in to play a game of scrabble before we climbed up to bed, exhausted from the day. 

We didn’t want to leave this beautiful place on Sunday so instead of rushing off we took the kayaks out again in the morning and had a slow breakfast. We wandered around the property one last time, taking in the sounds and the smells of the bush, before we headed to Mogo for coffee and cake and a bit of shopping. We had time for one last adventure on the way home so we stopped at Monga National Park to take a walk through the rainforest.

View the full Riparide story and accommodation listing here.

Using Format